4/29/2010

Multi-somethin'

I have now been here long enough that I am starting to forget the English lyrics to a lot of worship songs. I have to back-translate from the French to remember how they go. It's kind of funny. If the song hasn't been translated into French I can usually remember it just fine. But most of the common ones have been translated. I am guessing that a solid 90% of French worship music is French translations of English songs. So unless I have the words in front of me, I keep slipping into French when I try to sing English. Ce n'est pas grave...
Tonight I was eating with a bunch of Americans and we discussed how a lot of little expressions, like "ce n'est pas grave" (It's not serious, it's not bad) slip into our everyday conversation even when we use English. When people come to visit from the states they think we are brilliant, when in fact all we are using is French fillers. Hey, I'll take presumed brilliance any way I can get it ;-)

1 comment:

C.A.S. said...

I love it.... but when they get to know you, the brilliance is no longer presumed... it is known! ;)