4/16/2010

Quick Update

Well, according to the tests I am now officially B1. That means I can speak French. Sorta. I've known for quite a while that I was B1, but now I have evidence.

In other news, I found a crazy mountain bike area in the forest about 2 1/2 miles away. It's not suicidal, but its enough that if I go back I'm wearing more protective equipment. I did some research today to figure out how to ride a mountain bike. I found out that most of the methods I had developed instinctively were actually right, I just need to fine tune it. Here's the basics of off-road bike riding:

1. Pick a line and stick to it. This means planning your route 5 seconds ahead and then going with the plan, even if it isn't as nice as it looked at first.

2. The only time you are in the seat is when you ride flat or uphill (opposite of instinct). For down hill you need to be able to move your body weight around and you will often want it behind the seat.

3. You speed up to go over obstacles rather than slowing down.

4. Most turning is done by leaning, not with the handlebars.

5. Pump brakes on long hills to prevent them from over-heating. Use both brakes evenly in most situations.

6. Do all of your shifting before it is necessary. Get down to a low gear while going downhill, shift to an easy gear before you start going uphill.

7. Hit obstacles at a 90 degree angle, or as close to that as you can get.

8. Know how to bunny hop before you actually have to use it on the trail. I... um... haven't mastered this yet. Land on either the front or back tire first, not both at the same time. I think it's generally easier to control if you land on the back tire first.

9. Know your trail. Go slow the first time so you don't discover downed trees the hard way.

10. Beware of leaves. They can be incredibly slippery and they sometimes hide nasty obstacles.

2 comments:

C.A.S. said...

Sounds like quite the experience! You o.k.?

I.S. said...

Haha! Yeah, I'm fine. I didn't actually wipe out at all.