4/10/2010

What a run

I hadn't run in forever. Yesterday I was feeling cooped up after class and I headed out into the highways and bi-ways of the Parisian suburbs. It might be hard to believe, but in the middle of the city I managed to get bit by a horse. Then I kept running until I found a forest. It was on the side of a large hill, and when I got to the top I could see half a dozen suburbs of Paris and also the top of the Eifel tower in the distance. It was beautiful. I ran through the forest for quite a while, using the sun as a rough judge of my direction, and eventually got to the edge. Unfortunately, the land all around the forest is owned and much of it is fenced. I also found a hut that looked rickety and abandoned. I'm not entirely sure that it was. I hope it was. I snuck around it as quickly and quietly as I could, which was neither quick nor quiet, all the while keeping my ears pealed for gunshots. I ran along a fenceline for a while, scared up a deer (she was very scrawny) and eventually found a field without a fence. I had to stumble through 3 feet of thorns, but I eventually emerged back into civilization. From there I traced a rather unexciting course back to the school. All told, including numerous periods of walking around to see the scenery or get my bearings, I was gone for at least 2 hours.

1 comment:

C.A.S. said...

Sounds beautiful.... up until the rickety shack and the fear of gunshots part...lol.... always something to keep life interesting!