10/31/2008

Today was uneventful, which I am kind of glad about. I wasn't sure how to go about navigating the "professional" work world on Halloween. I was never allowed to acknowledge the day as a kid, and now that I am an adult, I have no personal desire to do so. Unlike my coworkers, I full-heartedly acknowledge the true wickedness of Satan and demons, and I don't wish to give them any credit. It might be funny now to dress up like a demon and decorate your office space with red tissue paper, but it won't be funny when you die and find out what hell really is. Please believe that I write that with extreme sadness, not bitterness. When I am in Africa watching people hacking at themselves with sharp knives and not getting cut because of demonic power, candy and pumpkins will be the last thing on my mind.
So this morning I resolved to not dress or act any different today, despite peer pressure. I also didn't go on the decoration tour like most of my coworkers. Understand that I am not saying everybody should do this, or that you are horrible if you dressed up like a smurf today and ate 3 bags of snickers in a dry-ice filled room. It was just my personal conviction. And, I am grateful to say, it was rather painless. Most of my coworkers didn't dress up, so I was in the majority rather than the minority. Our little secluded room was largely cut off from the candy supply, so it wasn't even a temptation. In short, although the people outside our room spent most of the day groping around in the self-imposed darkness, eating candy and being generally unproductive, work went on very much as usual (for the most part) for me and the other temps.

And now I am off. I am driving to my parent's house to pick up yet more stuff to cram into my apartment (mainly wedding clothes) and, while I am at it, I plan to attend a cross country meet tomorrow. Should be fun!

No comments: