10/19/2008

One of Many

The other day I was listening to a preacher on the radio who sounded like he was mixing "Name It and Claim It" teaching with the "Health and Wealth" gospel. It set me off on a long, long train of thought about my views towards those teachings and how they might be related.
While they both contain some Biblical truth and do a good job of addressing weaknesses in the common teachings of mainstream American Christianity, some people (especially some people on the radio and television) go overboard and make a whole theology out of only part of the Bible.

3 comments:

I.S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim Austin said...

Don't know that Jesus was that concerned at all about whether his followers were wealthy or not. In fact he said it made following him all the more difficult.

As for "name it claim it," I suppose there's a basis for that. We see tons of examples of apostles/prophets/Jesus himself calling out specific things for healing, blessing, etc. But like anything, we can go overboard with it.

I.S. said...

Hebrews 11:36-40 makes me seriously doubt the idea that we should expect health and prosperity in the Christian life.