10/22/2008

Corn Bread and Computer Crashes

Last night I ran intervals with the cross country team (which was a blast) and then went home and made 9 servings of corn bread. I ate 7 of those servings in about fifteen minutes. I LOVE corn bread. I was tempted to make it again tonight, but I need to be at least somewhat reasonable.
Today at work we had a computer problem and had to erase several hours worth of work (just mine, nobody else's). Hopefully IT will get everything fixed by tomorrow, or it will get even uglier. No, I didn't break it. It broke itself and I was the victim. The good news is, nobody is blaming me. The bad news is, I am temporarily short on work, and once this finally gets straightened out, I will suddenly be half a week behind.
A questioned inspired by Genesis: If you had an endangered animal living on your property, and you knew that there were only seven of them on the planet, how would you treat them?
Noah sacrificed one of them to God. Maybe even two of them.
What an outstanding example to us of proper priorities, a healthy fear of God, a correct understanding of tithing and stewardship, and an active faith. And after Noah made his choice, God promised to never again destroy the earth until the end of time. I think that means that Noah made the right choice.

On another note, I have a question for all of the Bible scholars out there. How do we know whether an Old Testament prophecy/blessing/curse regarding a person concerns only that individual or also his offspring? Two that I have wondered about at this point are Canaan (Gen 9:24-27) and Ishmael (Gen 16:15). We can see in Chapter 4 how Lamech claimed for himself (for better or for worse) a promise that had been made by God to his Great, Great, Great Grandfather Cain. Was this a common conception at the time? Was it a true conception?

1 comment:

Tim Austin said...

That's a very good question. I've wondered about that too. Just for fun I'm trying to think of a New Testament example of God making a promise or fufilling a prophesy across generational lines. And I'm coming up blank.

I wonder if this is one of the things that kind of changed with the new covenant? God certainly interacts with his people differently now than what we see in the OT. Every person alive is now on the same playing field, with essentially the same promises and hope.

I suppose though that God could still make individual promises to individuals concerning their families. Just because it hasn't happened in mine doesn't mean God cann't do it.