2/18/2009

When Plans Go Out The Window

This morning my macbook didn't start.
That capped off a long evening of trying to figure out what I would say today to the college Communications Department about using comm. skills.
When I got to the college, without my computer, I went to the Comm Arts room and was kindly informed by the department head that he didn't know I was coming. I quickly found out that the professor who invited me (and who used to be the department head) was now the department head of only the English department. So I quickly skampered over there, adjusting my speech in my head as I went, and told them about how God can use English majors. That was a really good time and I got to talk to a couple of people in depth afterword. I also ran into our recruiter, who I didn't know would be there. While talking to her I ran into another several friends, who had actually read the letter I sent out yesterday (amazing!)
Then I talked to two of my old teammates and my old coach. Good times. On the way to work from the college I got a call saying that my student had a 102 fever and wouldn't be coming in. Poor kid. Pray for him. So I went to Mac store at the mall and told a guy there that I had sick macbook.
"It isn't puking, is it?" He asked.
"Nope," I said, "It just doesn't like to wake up in the morning."
He recommended two shots of espresso and jumper cables.
Okay, fine, I made up half that conversation. But he did ask me if it was puking. He told me to bring it in. When I got home I tried it with the battery removed, and it started. So I have a feeling that if I bring it in right now they won't be able to find anything wrong.
Such is life. For now I am extremely grateful to God that it is working. When it didn't start at all this morning I got a little concerned. I hadn't backed up anything on my computer since June, and even then I didn't back up the whole thing. If my hard drive had fritzed, I would have lost tons and tons of files. So right now my computer is copying itself onto my external hard drive. Funny how things can rapidly move up on my to-do list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NCU ? When writing, always first mention what NCU means. Even if writing to your friends. It's on a blog, chances are the rest of the world doesn't know what you mean.

I.S. said...

Admittedly, I do that deliberately. Because the whole world can read this, I prefer to not make my location and associations any more specific than "Minneapolis."

Anonymous said...

Man that's terrible when the 'ole computer has problems. Good thing you have the opportunity to back everything up now!!