1/12/2009

Another Puzzle Piece

In the same way that a Christian who wakes up for unknown reasons at 3:00 in the morning should probably start praying, a person who is in the states longer than he wants to be should figure that God probably has reasons for it. I think I have figured out one of His reasons, and it is my new job. My training taught me some things about myself that weren't always fun, and one of them is that I need to work through a "Git 'r done" attitude towards just about everything I do. Sweet. Note to self: love people more and your goals less. In real life it's hard to know what that looks like. I think this new job is going to show me.
My job is to be a personal trainer for the brain. Specifically, I will be working one-on-one with elementary school children. The technical side of that is relatively easy. I essentially help them through a series of mind games, which I find enjoyable because I am a nerd. My problem comes in if I end up with a kid who would rather not play the games, thank you very much. I practiced with a coworker and didn't do so hot. I have a very hard time being simultaneously friendly and firm with anybody, especially kids. Normally when somebody does something wrong I sheepishly address it in only the most indirect ways. However, when I know I am getting paid to make them do something, they will do it, by golly, if I have to tie them to the chair with duct tape. Um... yeah. Not the recommended procedure. Apparently they like you less if you do that. I expect to learn a lot of practical skills from this job, even if it does take much, much more time and effort than a regular job.

P.S. Hug the teacher nearest you. Tell them they are amazing.

No comments: