3/29/2011

Giving

Last night I watched Magdalena, a movie based on the Jesus Film. It brings out a lot of the more human aspects of Jesus's ministry, and a couple of things jumped out at me that I had read or heard hundreds of times but just made a bigger impact when put in context. The major one was giving. In the movie Jesus said, "give to everyone who asks of you." For some reason, I think I knew that was in the Bible but I never took it literally. I looked it up to make sure it is there, and it is. In multiple gospels.

So what did Jesus actually mean by that? If you live in the midwestern countryside, it might mean rescueing a neighbor once in a while. But if you live in a major city, does it also apply to the homeless folks who you see every single day? Jesus says to give to everyone who asks of you. Does it disqualify them if they are also asking of everyone else who passes? Does it matter? What is the heart of the issue?

This is a much more pressing issue for me now. Everywhere I go people ask for money, especially kids. On my way to church last Sunday I had 5 kids walking with me for several blocks, trying to talk me into giving them money. I was wary of contributing to a cycle of dependency. I cringed at the racism. I resented the manipulation. They were violating their own culture's values when they did that, not to mention American culture. So I didn't give them anything. But I don't want to live out either American culture or my host culture. I am trying to live out God's culture. What does that culture have to say about this issue?

I'll be thinking and praying about it a lot, and I'll probably start planning on things to give. Jesus said we should give to everyone who asks, but He didn't say we have to always give them what they ask for. Perhaps food rather than money. But who am I to decide what they need? I can't presume to know. I have to hope and pray that God will tell me in each situation. It's rather exhausting thinking about it, to be honest.

One thing is certain, though. I need to stop ignoring the needs around me. As exhuasting as it is to be unable to go shopping or do much of anything else without doing ministry, I came here to do ministry and I need to get at it!

No comments: