3/14/2011

Close call

My roommate and I were down town visiting L on Saturday night. We got in a taxi at about 11:00 and were heading back home when we got stopped by a police officer. He asked us for our passports. Ironically enough, neither of us had them. Normally I carry mine but I was trying out a new money pouch so I wouldn't lose change from my pockets like I have done while riding in taxis before. I kind of forgot about the other reason I carry my wallet! And my roommate didn't even realize that he was supposed to.

So there we sat. The officer told us that we would have to go to the police station for the night and then pay about $25 the next morning to go and get our passports. I didn't argue with him, and he didn't seem to know what to do. He chided me three or four times, telling me I should never go out without my papers. And I told him, as many times, that I was sorry. I offered to call someone who could bring our passports. Then he dropped the price we would have to pay. I told him that I didn't have even that much. I honestly didn't, I need to take out some money tomorrow because I'm running on empty!

I had been praying pretty hard in between his questions about where we worked, what countries we came from, etc.  As I prayed, another taxi had come by and he pulled them over also. When he found out that neither my roommate nor I had any money, he waved us on and went to talk to the other taxi. Whew!!!!! I was never so happy to get home and sleep in my own bed!

No comments: