11/12/2009

quote for today

"What we presently know is not enough to form judgements"
-Dr. Carolyn Tennant

I got this from her book, "Front Line." It is in the context of Psalm 33:11- "The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart from generation to generation."
There are so many times when I just want God to tell me why. Or I feel like God isn't doing anything with me or through me. I have to remember that God works on both the large and the small scale, and in both the physical and spiritual realms. Many of the things He has given me to do will not bear fruit until I have moved on to something else. Some may not bear fruit until long after I am dead.

I have to remember that for thousands of years the Israelites served God and prepared for the coming of Jesus without even knowing His name. Most of them didn't even realize that the messiah would be God. Many Bible stories tell of people who did small things in obedience, having no clue what kind of long-term effect it would have. In the same way, I have to remember that no situation looks the same while I am in it as it does afterward. That is why it is so important to constantly seek the eternal "counsel of the Lord."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, John! Thanks for sharing from your heart.