11/22/2009

Oh my

In class on Friday we had an interesting language clash. We learned that "poopay" is the word for doll. I found that somewhat amusing but I try to pretend I am mature while I am in class so I didn't show it. Then my friend David raised his hand and asked the teacher, "Quelle est la difference entre une poupée et une doudou? ("What is the difference between a "poopay" and a "doo-doo"?)" I started laughing. I thought he was playing around with poor Valerie, who never understands our English jokes. Then, as she turned to write some kind of explanatory illustration on the board (which surprised me), he blurted out, "Oh wait! J'ai une doudou dans mon sac! (I've got a doo-doo in my bag!)" That pretty much killed me. He then pulled out a stuffed animal that he had packed for one of his sons and we all learned the difference. "Poopay" is doll, "Doo-doo" is stuffed animal. And Valerie still doesn't know why we all thought that was funny...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I love it! Yes, TRYING to act mature. LOL!

I.S. said...

Yes, it is hard to pretend I am mature when I choose to write things like "I stepped into the shower yesterday and ran into a pirate" when we get boring writing assignments.

Anonymous said...

HIlarious! I laughed out loud!

Jeremy

C.A.S. said...

Oh my.... is right.... I laughed out loud, too!!! It's so funny that we get do enjoy language difference jokes, but at the same time, I wonder how many of our words they make into joke when they are learning English! And showers with pirates?? Too funny!