9/14/2009

Would you like some cheese with that wine?

What is the difference between American cheese and French cheese?
When cheese gets moldy in America, we throw it away. In France, they raise the price.

The only exception to that rule is the Antony cheese and wine festival, where you can sample hundreds of cheeses and wines for free while listening to bagpipe music from a band of highlanders. One of my friends and I walked over to festival (it took almost an hour but was a very scenic walk) and took part in the festivities. I didn't sample any wine but I did try a number of cheeses, some considerably better than others. The very first cheese I tried was good, but I didn't eat the rind. I draw the line when the mold turns black. The worst I had was quite well done, and I was dared so I ate the whole thing, rind and all. The guy giving out samples warned us ahead of time that it would be strong, so I was prepared. It wasn't too bad. I wouldn't eat if for fun, but as long as I could wash it down it wouldn't be any worse than beets.

One booth was melting cheese and dipping bread in it. That was MARVELOUS! Yumm-o. I also sampled two dried meat/sausage slices. Both were saturated with salt and therefore fantastic. There was one chocolate stand in the whole place (which obviously drew quite a crowd) and also a stand for sampling honey. I had some dark honey. I'm not sure what it was but it was good. I also had a nice oil, possibly olive.

I didn't get many good pictures of the fair itself (too many people packed closely together to get a clear shot) but I did get some pictures of the group playing bagpipes and doing a traditional dance. I really should have taken pictures of the cheeses I sampled, but I hate marking myself as a tourist like that.

No comments: