9/07/2009

French Firsts

Today was the second day of French class, and the first day for a couple of other things:
1. First day of French phonetics. LearningRX is going to serve me really well here. I spent the whole spring and summer teaching English phonetics to kids. I only wish I had also gone through LearningRX as a trainee as well as a trainer. My auditory processing is rather weak.
2. First run in Paris. There are a ton of people running through the local park. I'm hoping I will one day join up with a local running group, but I have to get re-adjusted to mileage first.
3. First day of "Biblical French." The French have a head start on us Americans. They have this nifty little song to help them memorize the books of the Bible. Once I learn the whole thing I'll record myself singing it and put it on here.
4. First day of class with no other guys. The other two males both got kicked out of our class and into a higher level. They knew too much. So now it's just me and a whole bunch of females. Why does this always happen to me? Oh, and to all you motherly types who read this, most of them are married so stop thinking those thoughts.

I am trying to use more French in my conversations with the overabundance of fellow Americans. It is challenging. I did meet one girl yesterday from Switzerland who knows very little English. However, she knows German. So between my very little bit of French and German and her very little bit of English, we can sometimes have very basic, rather awkward conversations. After we talk things come into my head, but when she is looking at me expecting me to say something, my brain panics and nothing comes out of my mouth. Just like when my teacher calls on me. Ah, the pressure of the moment. God, help me to relax and take things as they come, and not worry about saying the wrong thing and sounding stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, John. Relax and do as you said you should do (in the final paragraph). Seek God and you will prosper.

Jason said...

be ok with being stupid, until you get smart