5/28/2012

Pentecost

Yesterday was Pentecost. I'm sorry that in the states it has been dwarfed by memorial day. As important as memorial day is, Pentecost is more important. The Holy Spirit is not only our helper and guide but also the deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until our redemption (Ephesians 1:14). For the past month or so I have been digging through scripture, trying to learn about the Holy Spirit and praying that God will show me what life in the Spirit should look like.

I am not planning to blog about it because I still have far more questions than answers and I don't think it is worth creating conflict with my wide variety of musings. I'm quite certain that I could offend the theological sensibilities of nearly every one of my friends with at least one paragraph out of my five-page (and growing) essay. I end up re-writing parts of it every time I read through it anyway. I think it is much more useful for me to simply encourage you to do the same study for yourself.

I leave you with this prayer passed down to us from one who has gone before:

Prayer of Augustine:

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.
Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.
Guard me then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.

Amen.

No comments: