5/06/2010

The Parisian Boat Community

Yesterday I had my eye exam for my driver's license. That went pretty well, all things considered. It put me back 100 euros, though. When all is said and done it is going to cost me about $200 to renew my driver's license overseas. If there wasn't the possibility that I will need to drive in Africa, I would gladly just pay $60 or whatever it costs to re-take my driver's exam when I get back to the states.
Anyway, after that necessary pain, I wandered along two different portions of the Seine and admired the vast community of boaters that lives there. Rather than owning houses, they own boats and rent space on the river.
The first boat I really looked at was this one, the Caracalla. The duck gives you a good sense of the scale.


Thanks to a bridge I was also able to get a picture of the whole boat.


I then moved into the center of Paris and strolled along the Seine there. This Mini sitting by the waterside was one of the most European sights I have ever seen. As evidence, I had to wait for another photographer to get out of the way before I could shoot it. The building in the background is the National Assembly.


And this is one of the most "Paris" sights I have ever seen.


Another view of the Eifel Tower.


Yes, I took this because of the cross.


Some of the boats were plain looking. Some, like this one, were quite pretty. My favorite is fashioned to look like an old gallion. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture of it because it was anchored next to two other boats.



And I got a self-portrait in a cabin window :-)

1 comment:

C.A.S. said...

How lovely it would be to live on the water! I already almost live IN it! Great pictures!