2/08/2010

Grandma's got it right

Our college president once said that while many clamor to prove that they have found the secret to solving this problem or the other, Christians can state with confidence that, even if she listens to different music and dresses funny, Grandma has had it right the whole time. When it comes to our basic theology, the Bible is quite clear about the truth. We are wise to look to our experienced elders for a good start, and a continual guide, as we develop our own theology. It is for this reason that I was thrilled to spend an afternoon with a seasoned Christian, even if much of her wisdom had to come to me in a difficult language.
Some of the things she said were really interesting to me. I'll give you the translation and let you decide what you think of it.

1. She had each of us explain how God called us into our work. My friend then asked her how God called her to missions work. She replied, "God never called me to missions. He called me to follow my husband." She then went on to say that there were plenty of times she cried as a result of that calling, but she has no regrets.
And so I wonder, for how many women is that the case? I believe that some are specifically called to a ministry. In that case, if they plan to get married they need to find a man who has the same or a compatible calling. But some women, to the horror of modern western sensibility, really are called to follow their husbands and support his ministry. Maybe a lot more of them than will admit it.

2. Her husband was in a car accident. When the police arrived they saw the car and assumed the driver was dead. If I understood her correctly, he not only survived the accident, he also survived being hit by a passing vehicle after he got out of the wrecked car. One of his friends commented to him later, "God must want you around longer because he has more for you to do." He replied, "God doesn't need me to do anything. He isn't done doing things IN me." I found that to be a really interesting perspective. I fall too easily into a "git r done" attitude and fail to remember that God cares more about developing a man after his own heart than finishing my latest project.

3. She knew her husband for some time before they started a romantic relationship. She had always admired and respected him but had no idea that he liked her and had never entertained the thought. When he told her of his interest, she took some time to pray about it. She wanted to marry a man who had committed all of his life to God. This man fit the description. She felt God telling her that he would bless whichever decision she made about this man, but that she really did have to chose whether or not she would love him, and then stick to her decision. She chose to love him, and as a result God blessed her choice and "je suis tombe d'amour" (I fell in love).
Attraction is an emotion that can seem uncontrollable and irresistible. But it is something that God has given us control over, with His aid, and He expects us to be wise in our relationships. Whether we are on the pursuing or responding end of the relationship, we need to make certain that we present our emotions and cravings (or lack thereof) to God for His guidance before we act on them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, Wise indeed this "Grandma"! I concur heartily, especially with point number 2 - God at work in my heart - drawing me into a deep personal relationship with the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit - this IS the Good news. Ah how tempting our projects are...I love "to accomplish" things. Just have to keep our priorities straight... and the real reason for any projects we may be involved in. Carol