2/28/2010

French Blitz

Last night I went to a friend's house along with one Australian and a bunch of French people. We ate snacks, talked a lot, and played two games. The first one was like clationary (Pictionary with clay) except that you had specific little toys to design with and two people had to work together to make the picture, alternating which one placed an item. It was easy enough to play as long as I was one of the people making the picture. The guessing didn't go so hot, although I did get one or two. They gave me credit for comb even though I didn't know the French word for it. I was frantically scrapping my fingers on the side of my head and they got the idea :-)
Then they decide to really stretch our French abilities. We played a game with three parts. The first round is like CatchPhrase. You draw names of people or objects out of a hat and have to describe them so that your team guesses what it is. Oh la la! You think that game is hard in English? Try it in another language!!! In round 2 we had to use just one word to get our teammates to guess the word on the paper (like Password). Fortunately we were reusing the words from round 1, so for the French people it was mainly a matter of remembering the options. For me it was a lot harder since I had only caught a third of the words the first time. Round three was charades. This was a riot, and one of my friends got video of it. Hopefully I can get that from her. My turn wasn't that great, though, because I got two in a row that I didn't know and it used up much of my time :-(.
It was a lot of fun and I think throughout the night I picked up a good deal of vocab. Just as importantly, I was able to build on some good friendships.

1 comment:

C.A.S. said...

Skittles!!! The game is called Skittles, at least in America! I just learned how to play it while on vacation in NC. It sure is an interesting game!