12/09/2009

I love Minnesota

This week a classmate said that one of her friends is Minnesotan and really, REALLY loves Minnesota. She asked me if I was the same way. I never did get a chance to answer her question, so I am going to respond to it now. Yes, I REALLY love Minnesota. And here are some of the reasons why:

Minnesota is green.

Minnesota is farmland.


Minnesota has TONS of lakes
And we know what to do with them. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the swimming, skiing, fishing, sailing, surfing, boating, skating, driving, racing, jet-skiing, or snowmobiling that goes on, on the surface of Minnesota lakes and rivers.


Minnesota has guns and girls who know how to use them (in this case, my cousins). To an American, a gun is a symbol of freedom and also the way we keep the freezer stocked.

When I think about America, this is what I see in my head:

Minnesota has wildlife. Lots and lots of wildlife. And you don't have to pay money to see it.



Snuggling up to a campfire is the greatest way to spend a fall evening.


Which brings me to one of the greatest reasons I love Minnesota: it has 4 seasons. I love the fact that the weather changes every 5 months or less. I also love the fact that the longest season is cold, which means...

Beauty

Snow Forts


Sledding

Hockey

Did I mention snow forts?

Did I mention sledding?

Did I mention hockey?

And the single biggest reason I miss Minnesota is all my fantastic relatives who live there. Here are a bunch of them who came to see me off:

And here is a glimpse of some of the silliness my cousins come up with:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post, John. I'm glad to be in Minnesota. :-)

Amanda Tyson said...

Okay John, you've made a very convincing argument! Minnesota is beautiful and extremely diverse, and it seems, full of some very wonderful and special people. I love how each state is so unique. Personally, I prefer ONE season, SUMMER with hot, white sand and emerald green waters :-) It seems if you put MN and FL together, you might just have the best of what God has to offer here on earth!