8/13/2014

A Bubu of My Very Own

I got dragged to a clothing market recently and came out with 3 meters of green fabric. That's how clothing starts around here- as fabric. And then I got dragged back into the market with my newly-acquired fabric so that it could be magically transformed into something wearable. I guess I could have theoretically turned the bolt of fabric into a toga, but that is neither here nor there. Nor anywhere else near here or there, for that matter. But I digress...

So we (I and 3 women, whom everyone assumed were my wives when in fact only one of them was) payed a visit to a local tailor in the middle of the market. While I tried to describe the outfit that I had in mind, the ladies looked through his stack of magazines displaying the latest in local fashion. Eventually they found a picture of a guy wearing a very spiffy-looking shirt. It was better than what I had in mind, so I told the tailor to just go ahead and make that, with a couple of modifications. We'll see what he comes up with. Getting something made here is always exciting. It never comes out exactly how you expected (or probably how you requested) but it usually looks good anyway.

Once we had a pattern selected it was pretty straightforward. He measured me with his tape, we haggled over a price, I gave him enough money to buy the necessary extra materials, and we were good to go.

This is the third shirt that I have had made here but this is the first time that I will have matching trousers to go with it. At last I will have a full local outfit that is actually my size!

No comments: