1/23/2013

Games

 I have three games currently "in the works." One is a Capture the Flag- inspired board game. I first made it four or five years ago and have now brought it back to life with an extra twist. I played a team version of it (4 players) with some of my friends and it seemed to work pretty well. It also gave me some new ideas to make it better.

Another game is an entirely unique and original creation. I made a trial version a couple of years ago that didn't work too well but now I have some ideas that should make it both workable and fun.

And finally, I realised that my entire living room/dining room area, not to mention every other room in our apartment, is made up of small tiles. It's like the world's largest board game grid! This is naturally asking for any number of games to be played on it. The one I am currently working on is a battleship game. I've researched a couple dozen ships from the German, Japanese, American, French, and British navies during World War II. Now comes the part where I decide how much of that data is relevant and how much needs to be simplified so that the game doesn't take 5 years to play. It is quite fascinating though. I am tempted to include all of those nit-picky details because it would allow me to play out endless "what if" scenarios. What if the Arizona hadn't sunk at Pearl Harbor? What if the only German aircraft carrier of the war had actually seen action? What if the Yamato had been allowed to meet the American fleet rather than being sent to its grave by airplanes? What if the Graf Spee had not been scuttled because of false information? I don't know if I'll ever complete the game but I'm learning a lot of fascinating history as I work on it.

No comments: