11/20/2011

He who began a good work

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil 1:6)

God, this is my prayer. I am clinging to this as a promise. Please help me to trust that you will not only keep me alive but also keep me holy until the day You call me home. You know how much I fear falling away, but your perfect love casts out fear. I need to trust that You can keep me, that You will not fail me, that You will not let me wander astray as I do my best to love You with all of my heart, with all my soul, with all my strength, and also with all my mind.

I have read enough church history to see the shocking rate of moral failure. The Old Testament is pretty grim and that is just the start. If I am relying on my own goodness, my own love for God, my own good habits, my own strength, my upbringing, or anything else that I bring to the table, I am setting myself up for failure just like thousands (millions?) of Godly Christian leaders before me. Jesus is my Savior. Not just once, but daily. I can never love Him enough to save myself, but because He loves me I know that He will not allow me to be tested beyond what I can bear. He will be there in the darkest storms and driest deserts, holding me steady.

No comments: