4/30/2011

You know me...

I am always looking for a good pickup line! ;-)

None of these trucks actually belong to us. We just store them for people because we have a gigantic parking lot and nothing to put in it. In african culture, an unused vehicle is a wasted resource. We had some workers here once helping unload a truck and one of them kept repeating to me over and over what a shame it was to have so many vehicles just sitting around doing nothing.

I can see his point. I can also understand why people store their vehicles here when they go on furlough rather than loaning them out to be destroyed in the congested roundabouts.

But the other reason I am showing this picture is because it is the current view from my front door, and I am planning to move out this week. Soon I will have a different view, which I will be happy to share with you in pictures.

My friend D asked me to move in with him a couple of months ago but I was dragging my feet for a number of reasons, mainly that living on center is more convenient. However, I think it is time for me to get out and actually live in Africa rather than my western bubble within Africa. Besides, we reworked the numbers and I think living with D will be a tiny bit cheaper.

I am planning to make the move either Tuesday or Thursday night, depending on how quickly I can once again shove my life into a couple of suitcases. And maybe some boxes... I am only moving a couple of blocks and I will probably check out one of our trucks (not in the picture) so I don't have to pack so efficiently.

Actually, if you look at the picture again I think you can see where I will live. I am pretty sure that it is the (very) white building just to the right of the smaller electrical pole.

No comments: