4/28/2011

VTT- Version Urbaine

Tonight I rode the bike over to the grocery store. Lately the traffic has been so bad that it takes people an hour or more to get there in a car. I can get there in 15 minutes on bicycle. That was a fun trip. I  ride fast and since I was taking back roads to avoid traffic some of it was rough going. The dirt roads here have rocks and gullies and craters and sand pits. I can go at least two or three times faster than a car could go on the same road because I use my body as the shock absorber and I only have to worry about finding one tire track.

There was really deep sand in one spot. A scooter was trying to get through from one side and I blasted into it from the other side. We both got stuck in the middle. I helped push him out and then just walked the bike to the other side. Bicycles really are the ideal transportation here. You can't carry a scooter across a sand pit or up and down the stairs for the footbridge across the autoroute.

When I got back I spent a while talking to P, one of our guards. When I come back with the bike he always likes to tell me that I am athletic and I laugh at him. I proved to him once that he is in better shape then me. I did 30 push-ups and then made him try, and he did 35. So there! P is also convinced that I am a fantastic musician just because I can plunk around on a guitar. I think he confuses me with the roommate I used to have who actually is a fantastic musician. Or perhaps P is just an eternal optimist.

No comments: