10/06/2010

Cheese & Wine Festival

The primary purpose of this post is to disgust my mom. So I'll jump right to it. VoilĂ  the "Blue Cheese."

My mom can not stand mold, and this cheese is injected with it in order to ensure that it will have the characteristic, incredibly strong taste. I have tried moldy cheeses three or four times here and, unlike other French cheeses, they have not grown on me. In me perhaps...

This festival is a major party, perhaps one of the most popular in the Paris area. I took two random crowd shots that don't do justice at all to the crowd that was milling in the "centre ville" of Antony.


The name suggests a fantastic selection of wines and cheeses. That there were.


But it was really a festival of all things culinary. I even watched a cooking demonstration. There were many products, nearly all of which could be sampled. I tried jellies, different flavors of honey, cooking oils, fois gras, sausages, and pastries.


And of course they were selling French bread.


There were even the famous French snails, although they weren't offering samples :-( These were the leftover shells.


One of the icons of the event is the "mountain chalet" of Swiss food. They have three gigantic vats of cheesy potatoes and other goodness. I didn't witness it myself, but my friends said that when they add cheese to the mix they toss in a whole wheel at a time.


All of the free samples are geared towards getting you to buy expensive products. Some examples:

Good cheese from Switzerland, 30 Euros per kilo. With the current euro to dollar exchange rate, that is about $1.16/oz or $18.64/lb


Excellent sausages, also from Switzerland: $1.51/oz or $24.28/lb


The French are less squeamish about being reminded where their food comes from. The sign on the table says that it is all natural and costs 120 Euros per kilo. That is $4.66/oz or $74.72/lb.

But fear not, I didn't buy the deer leg, nor any of the other stuff either. I did enjoy the festivities, though.

No comments: