5/29/2009

OT Insights

Deuteronomy 22 was written for a different time and a different place, but I think the principles there can be applied to us in a different way. In verses 2 and 3 we are challenged to look out for the property of our neighbors. Not only should we steer clear of the "finders keepers" philosophy, we should be willing to expend our own time and resources to protect the lost valuables of others until they appear to claim them. Lost wallets shouldn't be scavaged or ignored, they should be returned. Verse four suggests to me that I should always be willing to stop and check on a car that is broken down on the side of the road and help if I can. Being too busy or late wasn't an excuse in the Bible, so I don't know why we think it is now. Unless I am late for work, I'm probably not really late. Few things are more important than being a light to a stranger who needs help.

No comments: