7/23/2014

The Fun Continues

After the great bookshelf adventure we ate lunch and then began unpacking a whole new pile of stuff that had arrived along with the bookshelf. We had no idea that we possessed so much wonderful junk. I was relieved to find a collection of T-shirts because I only brought one from back home. Unfortunately they, and all of the rest of the clothes that we had packed, smelled a bit musty. So I decided to wash them. We don't have a washing machine here so I got two big tubs, filled them in the shower, and squished and squarshed by hand. Then my lovely assistant took them up to the roof so they could bask in the mildew-killing ultraviolet rays.

After that we took public transportation across town. You'd have to live here to understand that experience. The most noteworthy event was a dispute with the fare-taker guy because he charged us twice the normal rate and insisted it was correct. Our friend refused to get off until she received the proper change, which got the entire vanload of people in an uproar. Normally I would get involved in such things but I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and I couldn't remember all of the necessary vocabulary in the local language, so I just stood and watched it all with some amusement.

After our abrupt exit from the public transportation we arrived at our destination; a farewell party for my former flatmate. There were loads of people there and all of them wanted to say hello to us. It was great to see everyone again and catch up. Also somewhat exhausting catching up with all of them in the course of an hour or less.

After the party we drove home the long way so we could see the ocean. Ate supper, took an hour or so to convert my budget worksheets to the local currency, and went to bed at 11:30.

That's about it.

No comments: