7/24/2014

Fluid Dynamics

It hasn't rained here yet this year.

My wife and I have visited two very wet countries in a row. The first one had the wettest winter most folks could remember (I counted 2 days without rain in a 6 week period). The second had the wettest June on record. And now we are in a place that hasn't seen rain since last October. I guess they had a heavy dew twice last month, but no real rain.

It's a bit strange. It's also hot. Not that the temperature is especially miserable but the humidity is high. Most days it feels as if there is no point in showering because you'll just be sweaty again within half an hour -- or sooner if you do anything besides sit down.

So I'm trying to find ways to maximize the fans in our apartment. Air movement is still somewhat of a mystery to me. I understand the general concepts of high pressure and low pressure, but the quirks in an odd-shaped space like our apartment baffle me. When I was a freshman engineering student, the upper class students liked to moan and groan about a class called "Fluid Dynamics." I wish I had stayed in the engineering program long enough to take that class. Unlike most of them, I could apply it to my real life!

And please pray that rain will come. The crops need it badly!

No comments: