3/21/2012

Disaster!

It was like Hoover Dam, except much smaller. My water filter has two buckets. You pour water into the top one and then the water runs through a filter and into the bottom one. The problem is, you can't see how much water is already in the bottom bucket. To make it even more complicated, the top bucket is quite a bit smaller than the bottom one. So one day I filled the top bucket twice, thinking that it looked about half the volume of the bottom one.

Apparently it's a bit larger than half the volume.

The next morning all of my canned goods (that's "tinned" for you Brits) were rusting away in a pond on the counter top. Unfortunately I also had one non-canned item- a box of Maizena corn flour. The water had soaked through the cardboard box and the paper liner and turned the corn flour into a semi-solid brick. I couldn't even get it to come out of the box in clumps, so I ripped the box apart and then pealed the wrapper off the soggy block.

I couldn't let all this good corn flour go to waste, so I decided to make impromptu cornbread. I dropped the brick of flour into a bowl of water and started stirring. After a minute or two I realized that this wasn't working too hot. That stuff was WEIRD! If you got the water swirling and just kept it going, it was as fluid as water. But if you suddenly tried stirring in the opposite direction, it was almost like stirring molasses. I really should have just left the flour mix like that for the shear amusement factor.

Anyway, I had serious doubts that this would turn out so I also left the egg out of the cornbread recipee. If it was going to flop I didn't want to waste an egg on it. Then I popped it in the oven and waited. Half an hour later, I had created this marvellous representation of a scorched sand-flat in Arizona!

In case there are any doubts, it was almost inedible. Kind of like paper or grass- you can eat it if you are really, really hungry.

No comments: