12/08/2010

Oh! Champs Elysees

Last Saturday night a group of us went into Paris to witness the decorations on the Champs Elysees. I was thinking that perhaps it would be my last trip into Paris, but I think I'll make one more trip this upcoming weekend. There are some things I want to see one last time and I discovered a train ticket that I didn't know I had.
Here are some pictures from the festivities:

This picture is from the east end of the Champs Elysees, not far from Place de Concorde.

This ice sculpture of the Eiffel Tower was just ahead of where I took the last picture.
This booth was really cool. A German guy and his family make a wide variety of sculptures out of scrap metal and nuts and bolts. I think this moose was my favorite.
Here are some of the other creations.

We crossed the street and headed back towards the Arche de Triomphe. As we crossed through an intersection we saw the Eiffel Tower glittering in the distance.
Soon we were amongst the crowds on the world's second most expensive real estate. Some of them were actually buying trinkets but most, like us, were gawking. 


Here are a couple of the trinkets for sale. The one on the top and the right are Peugot, a French brand. They do make normal cars too, but I guess the rich people don't like normal cars. The one on the left is a Toyota. Rich people are too cool for a windshield! I suppose the shape of the car might deflect air and debris over their heads. Maybe.
Eventually we got near the Arche de Triomphe. So did some guy in a limo.

Here is the view in the opposite direction. The car on the left is a "normal" Peugot.

And one last weird sight: This um... interesting window display was advertising coffee. It was so masculine that I just had to take a picture.

No comments: