3/21/2010

MMMmm!

I surprised myself in the kitchen tonight. So here's what I did.

-Dump some flour in a bowl. Maybe about a cup and a half.
-Sprinkle some salt on the pile of flour (1 tsp?)
-Splash some water into the bowl. NOT TOO MUCH! The goal is to get all of the flour into one big ball, but it should not be at all sticky.
-Cover with a wet plate (because I didn't have a wet towel) and let stand for 10ish minutes.
-Turn on oven to something between not hot and really hot. It was about halfway.
-Grease up a cookie sheet with butter.
-After 10 minutes, roll out the lump so it's kinda thin but not super thin. A rolling pin works best for this but I didn't feel like washing a rolling pin, so I used a drinking glass. Then put it on the cookie sheet.
-Use a fork to poke a bunch of little holes in it so it doesn't puff up as it bakes.
-Put it in the oven!
-Now we have a dilemma. What we have done so far, as near as I can tell, is made unleavened bread. Or a fat tortilla, if you prefer. But what should we do with it? Here's what I did:
Find the finest flour you can get your hands on. The stuff I used was probably almost more like corn starch. Mix a little bit of this with a little bit of water and a bunch of sour cream. Or you can use milk and a little butter rather than sour cream and water, but I didn't have any milk. Also add into this concoction some Basil and- most importantly- something HOT! I have "pimente forte," which if I remember right is primarily Cayenne and Chili peppers in powder form. I used... um... quite a bit of it.
-Once the stuff in the oven has been hanging out in there for about 5 minutes or so, take it out and pour on the new concoction. Stick it back in the oven.
-After 5 minutes, take it back out and put on lots of grated cheese. Stick it back in and leave it there until the cheese browns nicely.
-VIOLA! Homemade white-sauce cheese pizza. Or something like that. Completely without any recipe, too, which always adds to the fun.

2 comments:

C.A.S. said...

Yay! Way to be brave in the kitchen! I'm just starting to try a few non-college dorm recipes recently...... We'll see what happens.... hahaha

Jason said...

Sourdough bread is just flour, salt, water, oil, and yeast, I think. I bought some once and looked at the ingredients. Was a while ago though, but I was suprised that there wasn't more to it than that. Might not've even had oil in it, don't recall.