10/30/2009

"I'm really a neat person"

As we stood in line to enter Versailles, my friends and I started talking to two British girls ahead of us. They are in the country learning French and both of them are living with host families. They talked about how excited they had been to meet each other because they both speak English, and how hard it is to get to know people when you only have a working knowledge of their language. Even though both girls had 4 years of French in college and they have been here for some time, they still feel very restricted. One of them remarked, "They must think I'm the most boring person on earth. I want to say, 'but I'm really a neat person, if I could just speak better." It's true. We can conduct business and discuss the events of the day once we know another language, but it can take years to master a language well enough to really express our personalities through foreign words.
The Bible is the same way. God expresses Himself through His Holy Word, and if people have to read it in a foreign language they will have a hard time grasping its full meaning. We need to get the Bible to people in their own language so they can know Him better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I agree!

Check out my blog:
http://living2worshiphim.blogspot.com