11/05/2014

Ebola Fundraiser

I have spontaneously decided to do a fundraiser swim for Ebola this Saturday. Other than the occasional splash in a lake or ocean, I haven't swam in about 5 years-- so this should be fun!

The event is being organized by a local women's group to raise money for Médecins Sans Frontières, also known as Doctors Without Borders. You've probably read about them in the news recently because they are on the front line fighting Ebola.

So what have I signed myself up for? I have 15 minutes to swim as many laps as I can. I am guessing, based on the satellite image on Google maps, that this is a 25 yard pool. It may be 25 meters, but it doesn't really look that long. And it's warm. I swam in it once a couple of years ago and I remember it feeling like a bathtub. I've signed up to swim at 9 AM, so hopefully it will be a bit cooler this time (it's an outdoor pool).

Back when I was in shape I could swim 20+ laps in 15 minutes. Now I'm out of shape, wearing a baggy pair of swim shorts, and hoping my goggles will hold together with string. How many laps do you think I can do?

If you would like to unofficially sponsor me, just decide now how much money per lap you would like to give. I'll write a post next week saying how far I got, and based on that you can go to the website yourself and donate online. Here's the site:

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/our-work/medical-issues/ebola

If you would prefer to donate to an explicitly Christian organization, here are links to three missions which are doing specific Ebola work:

SIM

Catholic Relief Services

Samaritan's Purse

Of course you don't have to wait for me to swim in order to give; please feel free to donate to any these groups at any time.

And please don't forget to keep praying for the countries which are struggling with Ebola!

No comments: