4/06/2012

Grace

(This was written a week ago but I couldn't connect to the internet so I am posting it now)

Last night I was reading where Paul was talking about how he considers all gain to be loss compared to joy of knowing Christ, and tonight when I downloaded the free song of the week from www.kingsway.uk I found that the chorus of this week's song is a remake of an older hymn-

"when I survey the wondrous cross
on which the prince of Glory died
my richest gain I count but loss
and pour contempt on all my pride"

It's interesting... late last week I was reading in James about pride, how it is the enemy of unity and leads to every kind of evil and discord. Then I was reflecting on the juxtaposition of an infinitely awesome yet intimately active God. Then I was reading some passages that focused on faith- how fixing our eyes on God helps us to follow in trust even when our situation seems hopeless.

This simple chorus sums up all those ideas.

Jesus was God. Beyond our greatest powers of imagination or logic or speculation. Infinitely more wise, powerful, and beautiful than anything we have ever encountered. He chose to become a man and die with his hands and feet nailed into two blood-soaked planks. He did that to reconcile me to God.

How could anything possibly be more important or valuable to me than that relationship? It's unthinkable. And where is there any room for pride? Who am I to boast about anything, I who am weak and sinful and mean? The thought of it is sickening. I am nobody, but God chose me. I deserve nothing but He gave everything. All I can do in return is offer a humble and joyful "Hallelujah!"

Have thine own way, Lord. Thou art the potter, I am the clay.

No comments: