9/26/2011

Two roads diverged...

And I definitely took the long one.

My friend S and I decided to go on a bicycle trip to the big grocery outlet store. Part of this was in hopes of finding great deals on bulk purchases but mostly it was just an excuse to go for a bike ride. We stuck to the back roads because the main road, as noted in the previous post, is loaded with large trucks and general mayhem. There are a couple of routes that are blocked to cars but not to bicycles and we took full advantage of them. Then we started making our way back to the main road. At one point we came to a fork in the road and I, feeling poetic, quoted Robert Frost to myself as I made my selection.

Well, I definitely took the way less traveled! It turns out we were about two football fields from the store at that point. If we had gone right we would have seen it no problem. But instead I turned left. And we rode and rode and rode. Eventually we got to the main road. And we both felt that we hadn't yet gone far enough (this may be the only time in my life that something has felt closer on a bike than in a car, probably because the traffic sometimes makes the trip horrendously long in a car).  So instead of turning right, we turned left again. We kept riding until the road merged with the freeway. At that point we realized that we had gone too far, turned around, and rode ALL the way back along the main road, then just a half mile more and we were there.

In the end a trip that should have been 3 1/2 miles turned into more than 8. But hey, we got some good exercise out of it! Needless to say, after we got our groceries we took the short way home.

No comments: